Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Grandpa's Barn...

My girls loved going down to the farm and helping with the chores.   It was really a highlight for them to go spend time at Grandma and Grandpa's.  They loved to feed calves and help out. It was amazing. They loved to go and do chores at Grandma and Grandpa's.  They would stay for a week at a time and never complain about chores.  At home, chores meant groans and those girls could vanish as if into thin air at the mere mention of chores. 

Evan was still afraid of the cows, but loves the calves--well except when the lick him.   They have rough tongues and he doesn't seem to enjoy it touching him.

My husband, Terry grew up on the farm and I know that if he would have had the option he would have liked to farm himself. I don't know if he would have liked the milking part of farming, but definitely growing crops.  He enjoyed going down to the farm to help to put up hay when he had time. 

Here's a picture of Grandpa's barn last fall.  I took pictures to make Evan picture books for the speech therapist.



Here's Grandpa:
Taking a break from chores to come and visit Evan and me at the barnyard fence. :)


After the barn fire on August 13, 2011

Riley Kate spent the last week helping out down at the farm. Chores were more challenging. Grandma made a makeshift milk house in another building and Riley Kate and her cousins hauled warm water from the house to mix w/ milk replacer to feed the calves. They helped deliver hay and feed to older calves. Caring for the calves took them about 4 hours a day.

Terry and Dani made a couple trips down to the farm. Dani spent the day after the fire looking for a missing calf. It was found and is doing well. She helped corral some calves that escaped from their pens. Terry made a trip to go pick up feed , delivered it and unloaded it into Grandma’s makeshift milk house/feed room.

I tried to help out as best I could w/ Evan. He and I spent time indoors. We helped keep track of food that was brought in by friends and neighbors, get meals on the table and clean up.

Now I know why the girls love to help Grandma and Grandpa—EVERY little thing you do for them is appreciated. They are just good people. ♥

Yesterday the cows were auctioned. It was tough. It is like watching 60 of your pets go. The cows were born on Grandma and Grandpa’s farm. Many of them my girls helped feed when they visited and some they helped name.

One of the cows sold even spent a summer at our house when the girls decided they wanted to have calves here to take care. Grandma and Grandpa had Uncle Matthew bring calves, feed, bottles, buckets and milk replacer up for the girls. It was probably more hassle than help, but they never batted an eye at hauling them about 30 miles to our house. 

We would appreciate your prayers and well wishes while Grandma and Grandpa clean up and decide what they are going to do next.

4 comments:

  1. Oh Wendy, I am so sorry to hear about the fire. I can only imagine the devastation everyone must feel. I would be happy to send a card of support if you tell me where to send it. In the meantime, hugs and prayers to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wendy, I'm so sorry to hear about this. This must be a very difficult time for your in-laws. I'll be praying that God helps them make the right decision about what to do next. Our farmers are the backbone of America. I grew up in Sheboygan, not far from you, and still consider Wisconsin my home. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From the first post yesterday the barn didn't look big at all. But the photos today that fire was devastating I'm so sorry and Pray for Gods infinite wisdom to help them through these tough times and decisions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm at a loss for words. I can't imagine the anguish your family must be going through. My prayers for all of you.
    Terry S. Middleton, WI

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...